[U-Boot-Users] Loads function and flow control.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon May 26 16:46:05 CEST 2003

Dear Christophe,

in message <D96E2AFA0DF3D211B1390090274549480373629A at helios.gnv.tcc.thomson-csf.com> you wrote:

> Is there any mechanism for software flow control ( XON, XOFF ) ?

No there is none, and there is no need for one.

> It seems that loads works fine when I download small files but get lost with
> big ones. So I fear a flow control problem.

I don't think so. Even at high baud rates (like 115200 bps) there  is
more than enough time to receive characters through the serial line -
remember  that  U-Boot  is  strictly  single-tasking,  so the CPU has
nothing better to do but to wait for characters.

> What is the problem with minicom for loads ? I think that loads just expect

Minicom is broken.

> to receive ascii data. Is it wrong to send srec file using ALT S in minicom
> ( and choosing ascii data ) ?

It's not exactly wrong, but it's calling for a lot of trouble. If you
really must use  S-Records,  use  the  "cu"  command  from  the  UUCP
package.  Alternatively  I  recommend  to use the "loadb" command and
C-Kermit for the download. This is much faster, and more reliable.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
panic: can't find /