[U-Boot-Users] Why S-Records?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri May 30 15:55:34 CEST 2003

In message <005e01c32718$579e33f0$6706a8c0 at SPLENDOR> you wrote:
> having said that the S-Record decode algorithm is simple in terms of
> footprint and easeness to implement, the S-Record algorithm is highly
> inefficient with respect to speed of transfer of file. because decoding is
> done byte by byte basis.

Yes, of course. But by the time it was invented the  memory  size  of
typical  microcumputer systems was usually just a few kB, and default
serial speed was often 1200 bps, maybe even 9600 bps.

It was good enough for that purpose. S-Records were not  invented  to
download megabyte-sized images of Unix systems...

If you feel it's slow and clumsy then just don't use it.  Disable  it
from the configuration. Use Ethernet, and enjoy the speed and ease of
use.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a  member  of
Congress. But I repeat myself.                           - Mark Twain