[U-Boot-Users] what is wrong when calloc return bogus?

Woodruff, Richard r-woodruff2 at ti.com
Fri Nov 7 00:05:00 CET 2003

 -- The PXA default setup low/high is such that with out a patch the PXA
will fail.  The PXA attempted to follow the readme instead of just doing
what the other ARMs did successfully.

 -- If you cloned the ARM925 tree, then you should NOT see this failure.
Its probably some other kind of misconfiguration.

  -- For my OMAP board I setup up so u-boot is copied to the start of the
last meg of memory.  Everything has always worked properly.

!**! Your problem is likely you setup your u-boot to reside in at the exact
end of memory, this won't work as the stack and heap are allocated on top of
the text image.  You will be doomed to failure.  Move your load address down
a bit and it WILL WORK.

  -- Just as a double check I setup a hardware break point at NewHandle on
my board, and sure enough the address was "exactly" where I expected it to
be in the malloc region.

  -- There are merits to switching the memory map so the malloc and stack
regions are below the text image.  In my opinion the only compelling reason
to make the switch is because Wolfgang has committed to moving it, so it
will be more work to keep a special version around.  I only am resisting the
change as I made a several "pretty" and time consuming diagrams which I
don't want to re-do :)

Regards,

Richard W.