[U-Boot-Users] u-boot and NIOS dk 1s10 board

Scott McNutt ScottM at Orbacom.com
Tue Nov 18 15:13:10 CET 2003

Hi All,

I agree with all of the comments I have seen so far WRT
Nios configuration issues. My primary motivation is to make
sure Nios users new to u-boot, can build a __working__ version
of u-boot by simply:

    $ make DK1C20_config | DK1S10_config | etc.
    $ make

As long as this holds true, I'm happy :-)

> Yes, of course. We have to make different configuration
> files -- one for each board. But, do we really need different
> board directories with almost the same code in it?

u-boot has a clever mechanism we can use to avoid code
duplication by using the VENDOR make variable. A good
example is in board/siemens: the SCM and CCM boards
both share common code.

Since this mechanism is supported ... and it is being used by
other board families, we can do the same. It's a bit more
work ... but I believe it will satisfy everyone :-)

> Ex.: My current Stratix patch is based on the Cyclone board,
> because both boards are equal in context of u-boot basics need.
> Only the second serial i/f  differs (not needed til now). So there
> will be more identicalness than differences for both boards.

Understood. We can create board/altera_nios (or some other
meaningful name) and take advantage of the VENDOR variable
to accommodate common code. Stephen & Patrice, please let
me know your thoughts.

Best Regards,
--Scott