[U-Boot-Users] Debugging U-Boot on 440GP

Brian Padalino bpadalino at perigee.com
Wed Nov 26 14:10:15 CET 2003

Wolfgang,

I am still doing board_init_f and, I believe, I get stuck somewhere around
or at the display_options() function.  I have not reached relocate_code()
yet.

I understand your frustration with the serial port -- if it were up to me I
would have added it first, but it was not up to me and I need to solder to
some resistor pads.  I also believe that UART0 can work in a 4-pin
configuration?  At least I hope so.

Lastly, I was thinking about this last night -- is the BDI too invasive in
trying to figure out if U-Boot will boot properly?  It sets up the MMU and
TLB by itself through it's init sequence, and I _think_ I am setting them up
properly in U-Boot, but I am not sure.  From what I saw in the code in
U-Boot, I am under the assumption that everything in the TLB gets nullified
during the start up sequence so I know, at least, that my flash is being
read at the proper width and that the stack is able to be placed in memory.
I guess I am just at a loss as to what these exception vectors mean anyway.
I verified the U-Boot image was proper so I don't think it's a bad
instruction -- unless it's trying to access memory somewhere that it can't.
But why would I be able to single step through code and not set breakpoints
and have them work properly?  Any insight into this would be helpful as
well.

Thanks,
Brian Padalino