[U-Boot-Users] Help request, MPC5200 Lite, Monitor

Victor Wren vwren at timension.com
Wed Nov 26 19:34:00 CET 2003

Hey, there.  I am working with the MPC5200 Lite, and thanks to the
suggestions of using ELDK, I successufully (I think) compiled a boot image
for the 5200 under RH9_i386.  I used the patch for lowboot (although, because
patch on RH9 didn't seem to like the diff file regardless of "-p" levels, I
had to apply it with VIm).  I move the jumper over, hit the reset button, and
I get this on minicom:
===============================
U-Boot 1.0.1 (Nov 24 2003 - 17:10:38)

CPU:   MPC5200 (JTAG ID 0001101d) at 399.999 MHz
       Bus 133 MHz, IPB 66 MHz, PCI 33 MHz
Board: Motorola MPC5200 (IceCube)
I2C:   86 kHz, ready
DRAM:  64 MB
FLASH: 16 MB
PCI:   Bus Dev VenId DevId Class Int
        00  1a  1057  5803  0680  00
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   FEC ETHERNET

Type "run flash_nfs" to mount root filesystem over NFS

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
## Booting image at 00100000 ...
Bad Magic Number
=>
=============================
The countdown starts at 5, but it doesn't seem to be recognizing
keystrokes before it plunges into the void of random memory.

The BAUD settings appear to be the same as I've been
successfully using with the Motorola dMon (115200), and it seems to be
writing to minicom quite legibly, but it doesn't seem
to be reading the serial port.  Any suggestions where I could look to see
why?  The ethernet is at its default of bootp, but I didn't think that shold
make any difference to the serial terminal.  I'm also curious about it
booting the image at 0x100000 (doesn't exist, obviously), but I expect I'll
figure that out once I see how to set up initrd (or whatever ramdisk is
needed).

Thanks,
Victor Wren