[U-Boot-Users] Debugging U-Boot on 440GP

Brian Padalino bpadalino at perigee.com
Thu Nov 27 01:02:45 CET 2003

Hi Wolfgang,

I removed basically everything from the INIT section and have found (through
single stepping still .. I am not sure why later breakpoints still don't
work yet) where my system's red light comes on.

init_baudrate() calls getenv_r() -- since I do not have a valid environment
table, it uses the default.  I modified my default environment to load the
baudrate first and it's during the envmatch() function that I end up getting
an error.

Even with baudrate at the beginning of the env table, it still falls through
everything to return(-1).  I find that confusing, but the strange part is
that it returns to some place around 0x05?????? which is too high for my
32MB of DDR on the board.

I am guessing I have to look at the stack placement, but I ran out of time
today to look at that, so tomorrow I think I will look at the stack pointer
placement and if I am, for some reason or another, blowing it up.

I am still upset I can't set hardware breakpoints farther in code that I
know I can reach and use the 'c' command instead of single stepping through
it all.  I am not setting too many breakpoints -- I keep it to the 2 that
the BDI supports.

So I suppose any extra help or pointers on the breakpoint situation would be
useful.

You know, I just realized -- why don't I just try to recompile u-boot to run
from RAM instead of trying to compile it and debug it to XIP?

Thanks for the help folks.

Brian Padalino