[U-Boot-Users] Little endian

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Nov 28 10:50:57 CET 2003

Dear Leon,

in message <Pine.CYG.4.55.0311280939530.3976 at sniper.ultra.si> you wrote:

> Here's what I get:
>
>                 Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/discs/disc0/part1               1          77        9840    c  Win95 FAT32
>  (LBA)
> /dev/discs/disc0/part2              78         980      115584   83  Linux
> /dev/discs/disc0/part3               1           1           0    0  Empty
> Partition 3 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
>      phys=(0, 0, 0) logical=(0, 0, 1)
> Partition 3 has different physical/logical endings:
>      phys=(0, 0, 0) logical=(16777215, 7, 32)
> Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.

"Partition 3" seems pretty bogus to me: a partition  that  occupies  0
blocks is - um - nonexistent to me.

> However U-Boot ide part shows two partitions:
> Partition Map for IDE device 0  --   Partition Type: DOS
>
> Partition     Start Sector     Num Sectors     Type
>     1                   32           19680       c
>     2                19712          231168      83

Looks ok to me, and fits exactly to the data above.

> I have not investigated which one is wrong/correct because I can access

Why do you think anything is wrong?

> primary - VFAT - partition on both systems and also on a PC. After I finish
> VFAT write support in U-Boot, I might go and see which "fdisk" is wrong or
> correct.

Keep your eyes open while you're going. It seems that there are  some
serious  hidden  bugs  (writing  through  rogue pointers) in the VFAT
code.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"Ada is PL/I trying to be Smalltalk.                 - Codoso diBlini