[U-Boot-Users] Little endian

Leon KUKOVEC leon.kukovec at ultra.si
Fri Nov 28 13:32:05 CET 2003

Hi Wolfgang,

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> > Here's what I get:
> >
> >                 Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> > /dev/discs/disc0/part1               1          77        9840    c  Win95 FAT32
> >  (LBA)
> > /dev/discs/disc0/part2              78         980      115584   83  Linux
> > /dev/discs/disc0/part3               1           1           0    0  Empty
> > Partition 3 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
> >      phys=(0, 0, 0) logical=(0, 0, 1)
> > Partition 3 has different physical/logical endings:
> >      phys=(0, 0, 0) logical=(16777215, 7, 32)
> > Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
>
> "Partition 3" seems pretty bogus to me: a partition  that  occupies  0
> blocks is - um - nonexistent to me.

I used busybox's fdisk and have created two partitions. After "p", it showed
me three. That's why I suspect busybox's fdisk port problem.  I assume it's
the busybox's fdisk "p" command problem.

> > primary - VFAT - partition on both systems and also on a PC. After I finish
> > VFAT write support in U-Boot, I might go and see which "fdisk" is wrong or
> > correct.
>
> Keep your eyes open while you're going. It seems that there are  some
> serious  hidden  bugs  (writing  through  rogue pointers) in the VFAT
> code.

Thanks for the notice. Does anyone recommend any document about how data
is physicaly stored on the hard drive ? I came across documents describing
FAT16/FAT32 but not how an actual file (the data) is stored in clusters.
Is a file data always spread troughout clusters continuosly or can a file
be spread around multiple group of clusters, say one part of file starting at
1 to 50 and the other part continuing at 100 to 120 ? Note that I am very new
to filesystem internals but I am going through Linux fat/vfat module's code in
order to understand what's happening.

Thanks.

--

Best Regards,