[U-Boot-Users] [Q]How to reduce the size of u-boot image ? ? ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Oct 7 11:17:54 CEST 2003

In message <200310070832.h978WMcd000313 at mail0.dreamwiz.com> you wrote:

> I'm trying to modify u-boot image for IBM Walnut ref. board
> to use in the other system(ppc405 core)

Please be careful. What you do requires a new port of U-Boot to  your
own hardware, not just a simple modification of the Walnut port.

> but the system has only bootrom of size 128KB, while walnut
> has 512KB.

128 kB is not much. You will have to disable a LOT of features. Start
disabling commands you don't need, like loads  and  loadb  etc.  Then
disable  other  features  not really needed - for example support for
KGDB, BedBug, ELF Files, PCI, ...

> the modification i have tried until now is as follows...

>  - modified TEXT_BASE in board/walnut405/config.mk

This will not change the size at all...

> the result size of u-boot.bin = 173KB or so ... need to be reduced more.
>
> - disable DBGFLAGS = -g, in u-boot_root/config.mk

This will not change the size of the image, either.

> what other methods can you suggest to minimize the size of u-boot
> without hanging in u-boot operation ??

Throw out features you don't need. See above.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Marriage is the triumph  of  imagination  over  intelligence.  Second
marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.