[U-Boot-Users] Where does u-boot start when booting Linux?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Oct 14 16:47:16 CEST 2003

In message <6.0.0.22.2.20031014070537.032b4bd0 at 192.168.1.10> you wrote:
> I was hoping that someone could give me a quick answer. When u-boot starts
> Linux, does is start from the beginning for does it jump in somewhere past
> decompress()?

There no decompress() in the Linux kernel. So  U-Boot  always  starts
the Linux kernel right from the beginning.

> I have been looking at the Linux code and it doesn't appear that the bdinfo
> structure is being handled correctly for u-boot. There is an
> CONFIG_EMBEDDEDBOOT option but even this only passes the boot parameter in
> a few instances. Does u-boot fix this somehow?

I think you are  looking  at  the  wrong  place.  Don;t  mistake  the
bootstrap  loader  for  a  part of theLinux kernel. We don;t use this
stuff at all.

> Another thing is embed_config() for the ADS8260 board, forces the baud-rate
> to 9600 but 2_4_devel is quite happy at 115200 as in u-boot. This is
> interesting since I am trying to fix a serial baud-rate problem.

All this stuff is completely irrelevant when using U-boot.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply  to  serve  as  a
warning to others.