[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot for AT91RM9200DK

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Oct 25 20:32:47 CEST 2003

Hi,

in message <3F98EA80.9040302 at imc-berlin.de> you wrote:

> So I spend a day, "wrote" some init and relocation code and now U-Boot is
> starting directly from flash and relocates itself to RAM. No Preboot need
> ed. Nor
> gzipped image of U-Boot.

Thanks. I really appreciate this effort, especially since  it  allows
to run a "pure" U-Boot on this architecture.

> I would like to change the official U-Boot code for the AT91RM9200 and
> AT91RM9200DK so that it can be used without the need of another bootloader.

I''d appreciate such an effort.

Just for my understanding: the  AT91RM9200DK  is  just  one  specific
board  usingt he AT91RM9200 (AT91RM9200DK == AT91RM9200 "D"evelopment
"K"it?).

> What do you think?
> Anyone interessted?

Yes, me :-)

> I'd love to hear suggestion, where to put specific parts of the init code. Other
> ARM cpus use a board specific memsetup.S file.
> For an AT91RM9200 we have to setup more than just the SDRAM.
> Should we put all the init code into cpu/at91rm9200/{start.S} and use CON
> FIG_
> and CFG_?

In cases where board-specific code is required the common code  (like
cpu/at91rm9200/start.S)  should  call  board-specific  init functions
which will have to be implemented by  code  in  the  board  dependend
directories.

> Or should every AT91 based board copy the same code again and again into
> thier
> own subdirectory?

NO !!!!

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Our management frequently gets lost in thought.   That's because it's
unfamiliar territory.