[U-Boot-Users] Re: u-boot debugging boot with gdb and bdi2000 in lubbock(PXA255) board

Andrea Sorio a.sorio at cocay.it
Tue Sep 9 09:31:15 CEST 2003

Dear Wolfgang

I followed your advice, but they doesn't work for me:

[u-boot-0.4.6]$ arm-linux-gdb u-boot
GNU gdb 5.1.1
This GDB was configured as "--host=i386-redhat-linux --target=arm-linux"...
(gdb) target remote bdi:2001
Remote debugging using bdi:2001
0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb) symbol-file
Discard symbol table from `/home/sorio/Devel/UBoot/u-boot-0.4.6/u-boot'? (y or n) y
No symbol file now.
(gdb) add-symbol-file u-boot 0x0
add symbol table from file "u-boot" at
        .text_addr = 0x0
(y or n) y
Reading symbols from u-boot...done.
(gdb) b start_armboot
Breakpoint 1 at 0x80000cb4: file board.c, line 214.
(gdb) x/16i 0x0
0x0:    b       0x54
0x4:    ldr     pc, [pc, #20]   ; 0x20
0x8:    ldr     pc, [pc, #20]   ; 0x24
0xc:    ldr     pc, [pc, #20]   ; 0x28
0x10:   ldr     pc, [pc, #20]   ; 0x2c
0x14:   ldr     pc, [pc, #20]   ; 0x30
0x18:   ldr     pc, [pc, #20]   ; 0x34
0x1c:   ldr     pc, [pc, #20]   ; 0x38
0x20:   andmi   r0, r0, r0, lsl #2
0x24:   andmi   r0, r0, r0, ror #2
0x28:   andmi   r0, r0, r0, asr #3
0x2c:   andmi   r0, r0, r0, lsr #4
0x30:   andmi   r0, r0, r0, lsl #5
0x34:   andmi   r0, r0, r0, ror #5
0x38:   andmi   r0, r0, r0, asr #6
0x3c:   cdple   14, 10, cr11, cr13, cr15, {7}
(gdb)

The breackpoint is set to "0x80000cb4", so the bdi never stop!
My code is built to run on 0x40000000 address.
Any idea?

Thank you in advance

Best Regards

Andrea Sorio

 In message <3F575E48.1060507 at na...> you wrote:

 > Thanks Wolfgang and Kyle for your advice. Now, I can debug the boot
 > process from the first instruction. Finally I've created two binaries:
 > u-boot to execute  and u-boot.debug (with TEXTBASE=0x0), to debug the
 > first part of boot process. When the boot process arrives to the
 > start_armboot function, I discard the current symbol file(u-boot.debug)
 > and load the new one(u-boot).

 You  don't  need  to  recompile  or  relink  with  TEXTBASE=0x0;  the
 "add-symbol-file"  GDB  command  allows  you  to specify an arbitrary
 target address.

--
Ing. Andrea Sorio
Hardware & Software Engineer