[U-Boot-Users] Uncompressing kernel ..... OK (Hangs here)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Sep 11 21:50:22 CEST 2003

In message <001301c3786a$369162b0$321c10ac at asradproto50> Tien wrote:

> Another thing you can do is go to u-boot/common/cmd_bootm.c in the function
> do_bootm_linux(..), at the end of it :
>
>       (*kernel) (kbd, initrd_start, initrd_end, cmd_start, cmd_end);
>
> change it to
>
>       (*kernel) (gd->bd, initrd_start, initrd_end, cmd_start, cmd_end);  //
> kbd change to gd->bd

Do NOT do this.

> It should works.

No, it is BROKEN. "gd" and "gd->bd" will go out of scope  when  Linux
is booting. The contents of this memory will be undefined. You create
ndefined  behaviour.  What  do you think why we create a copy of this
date (in "kbd") in the first place?

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Writing a book is like washing an elephant: there's no good place  to
begin  or  end,  and  it's  hard to keep track of what you've already
covered.