[U-Boot-Users] Kernel hangs after decompressing.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Sep 12 16:50:37 CEST 2003

Dear David,

in message <OFEE9207A1.054F5F7A-ON85256D9F.004C558D at nanometrics.ca> you wrote:

> > This cannot work. The powerpc kernel requires load address  ==  entry
> > point = 0x0000.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the kernel can be booted from any
> location in memory, the startup code in the i386 tree can boot the kernel
> from low and high memory.  I should've been more faithful to the
> documentation.  =)

With U-boot, there is no "statup  code",  there  is  just  the  Linux
kernel  which  must  be  loaded  at  0x0000 and has an entry point at
0x0000.

> I set the kenrel load address back to 0x0000.  I had to move the tftp load
> address to 0x400000 so that it had enough space to decompress the kernel to
> low memory.  That was the problem I had before because by default tftp
> loads uImage to 0x100000.  But I'm back to the same problem again that as
> soon as u-boot passes control to the kernel, it hangs without spitting a
> single meaningful message to the console.

There has been a lot of reasonable advice what to do:

- attach a BDI2000 and debug the code
- print a memory dump of the log_buf area and check for kernel messages
  there

> I really need someone to tell me what could possibly go wrong here. =)

Many things can go wrong. Inclding most simple things like  that  you
forgot to pass a console= argument setting the correct baudrate.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
The universe contains any amount of horrible ways  to  be  woken  up,
such as the noise of the mob breaking down the front door, the scream
of fire engines, or the realization that today is the Monday which on
Friday night was a comfortably long way off.
                                 - Terry Pratchett, _Moving Pictures_