[U-Boot-Users] Need help booting linux on IBM 405EP eval board

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Apr 2 10:26:07 CEST 2004

In message <1837411015.1080849758@[192.168.0.232]> you wrote:

> I'm having a hard time getting U-Boot to boot Linux on an IBM 405EP
> evaluation board. Here's what I've tried:

Then this is a Linux question.

> I also don't have any problem running U-Boot. I compiled 1.0.2 and

Then this is not an U-Boot question, i. e. it's off topic on this list.

> various options to see if I could get a kernel to boot. iminfo says the
> kernel is fine and I get to the "Uncompressing Linux Kernel ... OK" stage
> but it stops there.

Did you read the FAQ?

> I've noticed that the mkimage script is being called to set a start point
> and relocation point both of 0. Does that work on these boards? One person

Yes, this is correct for all PowerPC systems. As documented.

> posted in the mailing list that you couldn't boot a kernel at 0. I've tried
> changing that to 400000 and it didn't help, though.

Please don't spread  misinformation.  At  least  quote  the  original
posting  -  after checking that this was indeed for a PowerPC system,
and checking if there were any follow-ups that  corrected  the  false
statement.

> Another question I have is that I see 400000 embedded in at least one of
> the kernel build scripts. Is that a special number? Also, the kernel

No such number should be there if you really run "make uImage".

It is probably the link address for the Linux bootstrap  loader  code
which  is  not  necessary  and  will  not  be used when you use "make
uImage".

> itself, by default, seems to build with a start point of 0xc0000000. On my
> system, that's not even RAM. But the kernels I built without changing that

Correct. Welcome to the world of virtual addresses.

> I suspect I'm just running into some little interaction, like I need to
> change this number here or this number doesn't match that number. If anyone

Don't change any of these. Not when you don't understand EXACTLY what
you're doing.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
I think there's a world market for about five computers.
         -- attr. Thomas J. Watson (Chairman of the Board, IBM), 1943