[U-Boot-Users] Need help booting linux on IBM 405EP eval board

Jeff Tucker jeff at jltnet.com
Fri Apr 2 03:02:38 CEST 2004

Hi, guys.

I'm having a hard time getting U-Boot to boot Linux on an IBM 405EP
evaluation board. Here's what I've tried:

First, I think my kernels are fine. I can compile 2.4.18 from an older
version of the ELDK or I can compile 2.4.24 from the latest released ELDK.
I'm using ELDK tools for all of my builds. Using the IBM bootloader that
comes on the board and the "treeboot" image file format, I can get the IBM
board to tftp my kernel over the lan and run it. So, I think the kernel is
working fine.

I also don't have any problem running U-Boot. I compiled 1.0.2 and
installed it on the board. U-Boot runs fine and I can make it tftp a file
over the network as well. Using iminfo, I can see that it read what I
expect. However, no matter what I try, I can't get the kernel to actually
boot.

In the older kernel, I'm using a "make pImage" and in the newer kernel I do
"make uImage". I've also tried running the mkimage tool manually with
various options to see if I could get a kernel to boot. iminfo says the
kernel is fine and I get to the "Uncompressing Linux Kernel ... OK" stage
but it stops there.

I've noticed that the mkimage script is being called to set a start point
and relocation point both of 0. Does that work on these boards? One person
posted in the mailing list that you couldn't boot a kernel at 0. I've tried
changing that to 400000 and it didn't help, though.

Another question I have is that I see 400000 embedded in at least one of
the kernel build scripts. Is that a special number? Also, the kernel
itself, by default, seems to build with a start point of 0xc0000000. On my
system, that's not even RAM. But the kernels I built without changing that
number boot fine with the IBM bootloader, so maybe it's not actually used
in this environment.

I suspect I'm just running into some little interaction, like I need to
change this number here or this number doesn't match that number. If anyone
can give me some pointers, I'd appreciate it. We've used PPCBOOT in the
past on other architectures without any problem, so I'm surprised that this
is giving me fits.

Thanks
Jeff

--