[U-Boot-Users] mtest

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Apr 2 10:33:44 CEST 2004

In message <406D1751.1040304 at email.si> you wrote:

> to my custom PXA255 board I decided to run some
> memory tests. I used mtest in u-boot and got the
> following results:
> => mtest
> Pattern 00000000  Writing...
> ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HReading...
> Mem error @ 0xA3EDBAEC: found A3EDBB0C, expected 00F76EBB
>
> Mem error @ 0xA3EDBAF0: found A3EDBAFC, expected 00F76EBC
> Memory test finds some errors during write/read
> 0x00000000 pattern and it hangs before it can read
> back 0xFFFFFFFF. I suppose this is not the
> expected board behaviour.

Well, it IS the expected behaviour in case of  memory  problem,  when
the behaviour of the system is completely undefined.

> Has anybody any idea what is going on ?

You have memory problems.

> Is this a config error ? (I should probably check
> the setting in configs/board.h)

Ooops??? I think it is pretty clear what it means when a memory  test
returns  memory  errors. To me this means that either the memory test
or the memory itself is broken. Since the test  is  working  fine  on
many other boards it's probably your hardware.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"Open the pod bay doors, HAL."                    - Dave Bowman, 2001