[U-Boot-Users] U-boot with environment in flash now won't use serial console under Linux

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Apr 2 13:20:34 CEST 2004

In message <001501c4188e$6bda5570$153335bf at cabletime.com> you wrote:

> I've recently successfully changed U-Boot such that it's environment is in
> flash (on the PPChameleonEVB board). However, now when I boot the kernel I
> get no serial console. The serial console works fine under U-Boot up until
> the time it transfers control to Linux, at which point I get nothing.
>
> However, if I switch back to the original U-Boot, I *do* get a serial
> console (this is with exactly the same kernel). This (to me) tends to point
> to some problem with the way I've changed U-Boot.

Probably. I recommend to make one change at a time.

> I've modified the 'evb405ep_early_serial_map' function in

I recommend to ONLY make the modification to the environment storage,
and nothing else. Don't modify the serial drivers.

Also, you might want to check the boot  arguments  you  pass  to  the
kernel.  Are  they  really  the  same  in  both cases? Maybe your new
version fails to pass a console= argument?

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
The complexity of software is an essential property, not an  acciden-
tal  one. Hence, descriptions of a software entity that abstract away
its complexity often abstract away its essence.    - Fred Brooks, Jr.