[U-Boot-Users] U-boot with environment in flash now won't use serial console under Linux

Andy Hawkins a.hawkins at cabletime.com
Fri Apr 2 13:57:07 CEST 2004

Hi,

> > I've modified the 'evb405ep_early_serial_map' function in
>
> I recommend to ONLY make the modification to the environment storage,
> and nothing else. Don't modify the serial drivers.

The only modification to the serial driver is to include printk statements
to see what parameters it's getting. This is in the linux kernel, not
u-boot. In both instances, I have been using an identical kernel image, the
only difference is between the two u-boot images. The kernel image has been
working fine using u-boot where the environment is stored in EEPROM.

> Also, you might want to check the boot  arguments  you  pass  to  the
> kernel.  Are  they  really  the  same  in  both cases? Maybe your new
> version fails to pass a console= argument?

I'll verify that the arguments are the same in both cases. However, this is
the command line seen by the non-working kernel:

Kernel command line: root=/dev/nfs rw
nfsroot=191.53.51.22:/home/andyh/target
    ip=191.53.51.200:191.53.51.22::255.255.0.0:PPChameleonEVB:eth0:off
    panic=1 console=ttyS0:115200

This looks fine to me...

However, setserial returns the following:

setserial -a /dev/console
/dev/console, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x0000, IRQ: 0
        Baud_base: 694444, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal skip_test

The baud_base looks odd to me. However, this is the value calculated as
serial_baud_405ep in  the kernel's evb405ep_early_serial_map function (which
is the same in both instances), so is probably correct.

Thanks.

Andy