[U-Boot-Users] Troubles on my custom keyboard driver in u-boot

Sam Song samsongshu at yahoo.com.cn
Wed Apr 7 17:54:30 CEST 2004

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> > According to README,only RBC823 does have a custom
> > keyboard so far.I looked up

> This is wrong.
>
> Many systems have a custom keyboard of one kind or
> another.  See  for example  LWMON  and  R360  and
> TRAB,  which  allow to bind arbitrary
> command sequences to arbitrary key combinations.
>
> Or see HMI-10 which uses  a  custom  PS/2
> multiplexor  to  attach a standard PC keuyboard as
> input device.

Thanks for your detailed points.I knew LWMON with a
i2c keyboard driver from your post.BTW,which file is
this LWMON keyboard driver in ELDK3.0 kernel code?As
for others,I would like to have a look at them.

> What are you going to use the "keyboard" for? To
> detect  single  key presses and to switch functions
> in U-Boot, like truning on/off of log,messages,
> booting a different image and the like? Or as input
> device for interactive use?

For interactive use.We have a special keyboard with 80
keys or so.We plan to code the driver in LINUX.But if
implentmented in u-boot as well,it would be perfect.

> It makes little sense  to  use  a  configuration
> for  one  board  on completely  different  hardware.
> You need a detailed understanding of that hardware,

I have no RBC823 hardware scheme but wanted to do like
that to test some possibilities.I really cannot
understand RBC823 init process of its keyboard.

> and of your own, and in nearly all cases you will
> have to adapt the code. Simpy copying a
> connfiguration  is a  pretty  good guarantee to run
> you into problems.

I know my hardware more than the driver I am
programming.Coding a custom driver is a big challenge
to me.Anyway,I just editted some drivers before.I hope
to find a good example to follow.

Thanks for your kind help!

Sam