[U-Boot-Users] Ethner RxBd init problem

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Apr 12 23:55:24 CEST 2004

Dear Dave,

in message <20040412213638.57633.qmail at web21412.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> I have 8260 based board and am using u-boot for that.
> I boot kernel from the flash. All works fine however
> sometimes Linux Kernel does not boot after
> uncompressing, further investigation found that as the
> kernel entry point is address 0, and that is also
> address of netRxPackets, if a packet is received after

You are wrong here.  NetRxPackets[]  is  definitely  NOT  located  at
address 0.

> the kernel is unzipped by u-boot, ethernet driver
> corrupts data at address 0 thinking it as its buffer
> pointer. Hence kernel does not boot up in that case.

No, no, no.

> My first question is that why we dont initialize
> netRxPackets in net.c?? (these are only initialized
> once a network related operation (like ping) is done).

U-Boot uses the network only when a network related operation  is  in
progress, so why should we waste memory for buffers when they are not
needed?

> Is this the  corect behaviour?? has anyone observed
> this problem??

This is correct behaviour. It works perfectly find on  all  boards  I
was able to test.

You are on the wrong track.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
You got to learn three things. What's  real,  what's  not  real,  and
what's the difference."           - Terry Pratchett, _Witches Abroad_