[U-Boot-Users] [patch #4/6] Hush parser update.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Apr 18 11:57:04 CEST 2004

In message <4080101B.4040202 at intracom.gr> you wrote:

> This is a resend of my previous patch with the parantheses conditionalized
> on CONFIG_HUSH_OLD_PARSER_COMPATIBLE.

Thanks, added  -  except  for  the  CONFIG_HUSH_OLD_PARSER_COMPATIBLE
stuff.

I'm sorry, I understand exactly what you are trying to acchieve,  but
I  think  this is the wrong way of doing it. The main problem is that
the simple command parser was implemented wrong. I really repent that
I didn't fix this right from the beginning.

I cannot allow that this gets added to the hush shell, because  oncve
added we would never get rid of it again.

If you are interested in a compatible handling of the environment,  I
think  we should fix the simple parser to accept the ${var} notation,
too. For some transitional period we  could  allow  both  $(var)  and
${var}, before finally switching the simple parser to ${var} only.

If you are more concerned about updates of existing  devices  to  new
versions  of U-Boot, I think we should solve the problem differently,
for example by implementing a standalone application that can convert
the environment from the old format to the new one.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Four thousand throats may be cut in one night by a running man.
	-- Klingon Soldier, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown