[U-Boot-Users] Configuration System

Sam Ravnborg sam at ravnborg.org
Fri Apr 30 17:07:34 CEST 2004

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 07:31:31AM +0200, Robert Schwebel wrote:
> Hmm, what about this concept: first we leave everything as it is and add
> the KConfig infrastructure. It can easily be done, I have done it in the
> past and we can simply copy the stuff from PTXdist (which also uses
> KConfig). The only thing that needs to be changed is the variable prefix
> which is fixed to CONFIG_. Maybe UBOOT_. When this is done we could let
> it generate another config.h file (invent a name here...) which will be
> included by the BSPs which use the new mechanism. Everything will stay
> as it is for the other boards and we can make some proof of concept
> implementations for further review of the idea.

If you during this process could come up with a generic way to select
architecture/board changes to Kconfig could be backported to the kernel.

In the Linux kernel today we lack a good way to select individual boards,
the only mechanishm is the _defconfig hack where a default config
file is selected, scrapping all options previously used.
For U-boot I think it would be relevant to start out with
a konw good config for one board, shift to another baord, and continue
from there. Knowing that this would anyway invalidate 1/3 of the options.

With respect to selecting architecture it must be pretty genial,
otherwise the current scheme is preferable.

	Sam