[U-Boot-Users] lcd fb modifications

himba himba at siol.net
Sun Aug 8 21:20:57 CEST 2004

Hello all,

As I stated few days ago, I gave it a stab at separating lcd fb stuff
from existing mpc8xx and pxa lcd drivers, to produce a common set of
functions that could be also reused with other archs and boards.

Attached patch, made against today CVS, contains modifications to
following files:
common/Makefile
common/lcd.c
include/asm-arm/global_data.h
include/asm-arm/u-boot.h
cpu/pxa/pxafb.c
include/pxafb.h
include/lcd.h
common/cmd_bmp.c
lib_arm/armlinux.c
cpu/mpc8xx/lcd.c
include/mpc823fb.h

More precisely files:
common/lcd.c
include/pxafb.h
include/mpc823fb.h

are new.
Basicaly what I've done is, I took cpu/mpc8xx/lcd.c and
cpu/pxa/pxafb.c and compared for similarities. Roughly 80% of the code
was duplicated in cpu/pxa/pxafb.c - mostly common defines, macros,
console and helper functions. All common functions were placed in
common/lcd.c and cpu specific stuff is left in files found in
cpu/mpc8xx and cpu/pxa dirs. Common external variables and macros are
now in include/lcd.h. New includes (pxafb.h and mpc823fb.h) provide
struct definitions that are shared between common and cpu specific
code. There are some bits missing, like probably functions need
prototypes and similar...

I compiled u-boot afterwards for two targets - my custom pxa and
TQM823L ppc board. I've also confirmed that new layout of the code
works in practice on my board.

Patch is far from complete, still needs tuning, enhancements, clean up
and other cosmetic stuff that would make it a "patch". This is where
you step in - I need your feedback. Please give it a try and post you
experience and proposals for making it better.

All code relocation and file names are subject to discussion.

regards,
himba