[U-Boot-Users] Proposed change; What do you think?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Aug 23 19:10:10 CEST 2004

In message <1093270471.29614.7.camel at blarg.somerset.sps.mot.com> you wrote:

> Oh, I'm happy to keep it in a consistent state.  That's not the
> question I was trying to get answered.  I'm seeking acceptance of
> the condition that I can not test all the affected boards even
> though the patch would necessarily touch many boards.  Compile, sure.
> Test, no way.

Submit a patch and hope that the board maintainers will test  it.  If
they  don't  test  and/or  don't  find any problems, there will be no
complaints, and the patch will get added one day to the CVS tree.

> > Don't put to many different things into a  single  patch.  This  last
> > part  has  a chance of being rejected (depending on what you're going
> > to do; I'm not sure I understand your intentions).
>
> I never said it would all be one patch.

Thanks. Maybe I misunderstood.

> Furthermore, I was merely suggesting I'd be willing to work on
> the suggestion that Dan Malek had proposed.  ACtually, just one
> aspect of it, specifically WRT the ethernet MAC address fields.

I think you misunderstood this. We already have  different  bd_info's
for  different  processors, i. e. it looks different on a 8xx than it
does on a 4xx. But within one  class  of  processors  iit  should  be
fixed. Should ;-)

> As I have it in my tree now, it has been left conditional, just
> the names of the #ifdef conditional has changed.

Thanks.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"In matrimony, to hesitate is sometimes to be saved."        - Butler