[U-Boot-Users] Uncompressing uImage: inflate() returned -3

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Aug 23 19:14:55 CEST 2004

In message <877aabc4040823073962e725a8 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Okay, so now there are issues when it's loading uImage: The uImage
> built fails on the CRC. This is due to inconsistencies in the byte

In the subject you write about "inflate() returned  -3"  whis  sounds
like a different issue to me.

> order of vmlinux.gz. When built on i386, it is CRC'ed in little
> endian, while when it's being checked on the board, it gets CRC'ed in
> big endian... so there will definitely be a mismatch in the two CRCs.
> Or I'm overlooking something.

Yes, you are overlooking something. Both the CRC code in gzip and  in
the  mkimage  tool  takes  care of endianess issues. This is NOT your
problem.

> So while generating the vmlinux.gz, I byteswapped it.. before feeding

Don't do this. This cannot work.

> Hmm, so setting 'verify' to 'n' also doesn't work; gunzip says
> 'inflate returned -3'.. which is some Z_DATA_ERROR.

This just turns off the image  CRC  ch3ecking,  but  not  the  gunzip
verification.

> I'm obviously doing something wrong here, since this should've worked...

Did you simply try increasing your TFTP download address to something
like 0x400000 or so?

Unfortunately you don't give any information how you  are  trying  to
boot Linux; if you had given the exact command and the exact output I
might have been able to provide better help.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
A dog always bit deepest on the veterinary hand.
                                    - Terry Pratchett, _Wyrd Sisters_