[U-Boot-Users] MAC address question...

Getz, Robin rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org
Thu Aug 26 10:30:19 CEST 2004

I have a board with a SMC91111 on it, with an EEPROM connected to it, to
store the MAC address. This allows users of the board to re-flash the main
flash with U-boot as many times as they want without worrying about
managing the MAC address in the main flash.

However, changing the EEPROM MAC address is troublesome, because the
/drivers/smc91111.c doesn't seem to support programming the attached
EEPROM. (you can get_rom_mac, but not set_rom_mac).

Before I started adding things, does anyone else have the same issue?

What I was thinking of doing was defining some reserved memory locations of
the processor as FLASH, and handle this in /board/specific/flash.c - a
flash write to 6 memory locations will actually set the MAC address in the
EEPROM attached to the LAN91111.

This solution is OK - it only effects my board, the downside is that if
this is a problem other face, it doesn't help anyone else.

Thoughts?

Thanks
-Robin