[U-Boot-Users] Could one image work with both LCD and serial console?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Aug 28 19:39:26 CEST 2004

In message <20040828101644.9484.qmail at web15605.mail.cnb.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> I have such a puzzle whether I could switch to serial
> consle once defining CONFIG_LCD in <board>.h. If

Sure, this is supported by default.

> could, how to implement it? I was often in such an

No need to implement anything; this is all available right out of the
box.

> embarrassed situation that I must erase the fireware
> when I wanted to work on serial console after setting
> CONFIG_LCD. Also,it seems that I cannot make serial

Just type "setenv stdout serial;setenv stdin serial" - if  you  want;
you can put this command sequence in the "preboot" variable (assuming
you enabled CONFIG_PREBOOT for your board).

> console image switch to LCD output by simply setting
> stderr and stdout as LCD. Any idea?

You can do this. You can switch any time between serial, LCD, and any
other of the configured I/O devices.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
I realize that command does have its fascination, even under  circum-
stances such as these, but I neither enjoy the idea of command nor am
I  frightened  of  it. It simply exists, and I will do whatever logi-
cally needs to be done.
	-- Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2812.7