[U-Boot-Users] byte-order in the u-boot .c files

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Dec 2 14:16:01 CET 2004

In message <41AF11BC.6050403 at web.de> you wrote:

> Now the problem is that I'm not sure if the bit order of the
> documentation and the bit-order of the hex-values in the C-Code are

The PowerPC documentation lists bit 0 as MSB. For a 32 bit value, bit
31 is the LSB.

> It seems like not to know this is incredibly stupid as I couldn't find
> anything about byte order in the README or the u-boot manual.
>
> Anyway, if anyone could please tell me something about the byte-order of
> the u-boot code and how it relates to MPC-manual-byte-order, I'd be very
> happy.

Now _BYTE_order is something completely different. For your  question
it  does  not  matter  at  all [FYI: U-Boot is (except for eventually
remaining bugs) byteorder-independent].

The bit order doesn't matter, either. Just write down  the  constants
as listed in the manual - MSB as MSB down to LSB as LSB ;-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Brain fried - Core dumped