[U-Boot-Users] Choosing flash and ram for embedded mpc5200 and loading flash

mike ingle mikei at ancore.com
Thu Dec 2 19:07:56 CET 2004

1.  I am designing in a MPC-5200 loosely based on the MPC-5200 LITE.
2.  I plan to keep the ethernet the same.
3.  I plan to keep the serial console the same.
4.  I would like to use 2 : K4H511638B-TC  Samsung  32Mx16 DDR memory
	Any comments?  Am I asking for trouble?
5.  I would like to use Toshiba 16Mx8 NOR flash TC58FVM6T2ATG-65.  It
uses common flash interface.
	Any comments?  I am choosing this over the AMD flash in the reference
design based on availability.

Finally, I have a MPC-823 set up as a JAM player over JTAG for use with
Altera parts.  Is there any way to move the u-boot image to a JAM file
which could then be loaded via the MPC-5200?  I am trying not to have to
purchase the BDI-2000.  I suspect that I could also use my FPGA (I will
have an Altera cyclone device connected on the local bus) as a flash
programmer by porting the programming algorithm from the NIOS reference
board, and having pins connected to the necessary Flash pins.

On a scale of 1 - 10 how useful is the BDI-2000  10 being no one will be
able to help me at all without it.  For reference, I am one of those
people who never use a debugger.

Mike Ingle

Sr. Development engineer
Ancore