[U-Boot-Users] Help needed to compile u-boot-1.1.1 for 8540 with ELDK-3.1

Jon Loeliger jdl at freescale.com
Mon Dec 6 16:39:14 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 19:49, Junita Ajith wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I've installed ELDK-3.1 and compiled my
> u-boot-1.1.1 for PowerPC - 8540,

Which 8540 board do you have?  And is that really the
official 1.1.1 release?  If so, that is old.  A lot old.
Grab the top of CVS at least.  (It should claim to be
1.1.2 though that is just the development of 1.1.2 and
not a real official release.)

> setting
> CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_82xx- . and compiled it for e-500.
>
>    I didnt see the serial output until I changed the
> cpu/mpc85xx/config.mk .
>
> I added -mabi=no-spe, (as its recommened by Motorola
> for 8540/8560) in PLATFORM_RELFLAGS and   -mno-string
> for PLATFORM_CPPFLAGS.

I use these:
    PLATFORM_RELFLAGS += -fPIC -ffixed-r14 -meabi

    PLATFORM_CPPFLAGS += -DCONFIG_MPC85xx -DCONFIG_E500 -ffixed-r2
    -ffixed-r29 -Wa,-me500 -msoft-float

>   Now I could see the serial output and it hangs where
> the code uses 'sprintf' .
>    This happens only with ELDK-3.1 but also with a
> toolchain built with gcc-3.3.2 & binutils -2.14.
>
>   I dont think its a board problem , as I eliminated
> the sprintf , the problem is solved at that point and
> then it hangs at another point where  'sprintf' is
> used.

I think there is potentially an issue with the location
of the string used by sprintf().

> I did step through BDI2000 and it crashes at that
> place.

That's pretty vague... :-)

>   Do I need to change the compiler flags ..or am I
> going wrong somewhere.

I'm concerned that you had to change the flags.

I think you should grab the current top of CVS too.

jdl