[U-Boot-Users] PATCH cpu/at91rm9200/start.S

Steven Scholz steven.scholz at imc-berlin.de
Mon Dec 13 10:52:45 CET 2004

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <41BD53FA.1010002 at imc-berlin.de> you wrote:
>
>>since enabling the "main oscillator" of Atmel's AT91RM9200 is very board
>>specific and must not be done on some boards (which use external clock
>>oscilators instead of crystals) I suggest
>>
>>* Patch by Steven Scholz, 13 Dec 2004:
>>   Move code for AT91 "main oscillator" into board specific
>>   memsetup.S files
>

> I reject this patch as it causes a duplication of the same code  into
> several  files. My understanding is that this code is poretty generic
> for all boards that use it; #undef'fing it for boards which don;t use
> it seems to be the better choice here.

I did not start the duplication! memsetup.S for at91rm9200dk and cmc_pu2 look
pretty much the same already! The clock setup for both boards is done in memsetup.S.

I thought about a CFG_USE_MAIN_OSCILLATOR. But since we want to move
cpu/at91rm9200 to cpu/arm920t/at91rm9200 someday we realy should not put such
board and SoC specific code into start.S.

I aggree that duplicating code is bad and a generic cpu/at91rm9200/clocks.S
would be better. But why did you accept the other patch

* Update for AT91RM9200DK and CMC_PU2 boards:
   - Enable booting directly from flash

in the first place???

--
Steven Scholz