[U-Boot-Users] MPC85xx config.mk patch for -mno-string

Yuli Barcohen yuli at arabellasw.com
Thu Dec 16 09:43:39 CET 2004

    Wolfgang> Why do we need this? GCC 3.3.3 (DENX ELDK 3.1 3.3.3-8)
    Wolfgang> compiles the same code without problems. Where are the
    Wolfgang> string instructions coming from?

GCC can be built with different defaults. The -mno-string option
guarantees that string instructions will not be generated. I wrote some
half-year ago that I too need this option for my GCC version. In theory,
-mcpu=8540 implies -mno-string. In the real world, at least some GCC
versions generate string instructions if -mno-string is not specified
explicitly, and you can discover this only when the U-Boot crashes in
run-time.

 Yuli Barcohen       | Phone +972-9-765-1788 |  Software Project Leader
 yuli at arabellasw.com | Fax   +972-9-765-7494 | Arabella Software, Israel