[U-Boot-Users] Support for AMD Flash SecSi Sector

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Feb 1 16:11:29 CET 2004

In message <200401301120.32569.josef.baumgartner at telex.de> you wrote:

> we use an AMD 29LV640D flash on our MCF5272 board. This flash has a 128 Word
> sector called SecSi which is one time programmable. We'd like to use the
> SecSi sector of the flash to store board information, as serial number and
> ethernet MAC address.

Note that srial number and MAC address are already standard  concepts
in  U-Boot (envrionment variables "serial#" and "ethaddr"); also, you
may need more than one MAC address per board.

> I'll start to implement support for the SecSi sector in u-boot. Is there
> anybody, still working on this topic? Are there any suggestions how to
> implement it?

Please implement it ina way that  is  compatible  with  the  existent
code,  i.  e.  make  it fit with the existing "serial#" and "ethaddr"
variables.

> I think of adding some special commands in cmd_flash.c to read and prog the
> SecSi sector. Additionally I would change the read function for the "ethaddr"
> to use the SeCsi sector instead of the environment.

I think this has some potential to break  existing  code.  Please  be
careful.

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Humanity has the  stars  in  its  future,  and  that  future  is  too
important  to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant
superstition.                                          - Isaac Asimov