[U-Boot-Users] Flashes that live in more than one place...!

Dave Peverley dpeverley at mpc-data.co.uk
Fri Feb 6 19:47:52 CET 2004

Hi all,

  This is my first post so hello for the first time :-)

  I'm porting (well, 90% done now) u-boot to a new board based on an OMAP
processor. This board happens to have a DIP switch to select whether
you boot from flash (strata) or ram. It does this by juggling CS0 and
CS3 for the flash. This means that at run time, if you're running from
ram you access the flash at 0x0C000000 or if running from flash, you
access it at 0x00000000. I can detect which state we're in no problem,
but I can't see a clean way to integrate this into the u-boot sources.

  The implication, is that at run time, I need to set new values for :
    PHYS_FLASH_1
    CFG_FLASH_BASE
    CFG_ENV_ADDR

This is _not_ a nice thing to do without creating a lot of changes in the
code :-/ I've dug about in the existing code (I'm working with the 1.0.0
codebase) to see if anyone else has done similar, but I haven't spotted any
suitable workarounds. Can anyone suggest a neat way to achieve this?

Best Wishes,

Dave Peverley