[U-Boot-Users] request for comments

Josh Fryman fryman at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 17 22:22:55 CET 2004

> Are these indeed platform independend files  that  can  go  into  the
> common  directory?  My  suspicion is that these might be in fact very
> board-specific features that should go into your own board  directory
> instead.

it's kind of hard to say.  i see the lcdon/off, bkon/off much like the
"erase" command.  it's more or less universal for anything that supports
LCDs, but the actual implementation is very board specific.  kind of
like flash.  (noting the large number of specific flash implementations
in board directories.)

> >    bk   {on,off,set percent}
> >    lcd  {on,off,tst,draw x0 y0 x1 y1 r g b}
> >
> > to not take up so many command values...
>
> This sounds much better to me anyway.

it's no difference to me either way... i'll go ahead and change my
implementation.

> Actually I recommend NOT to add graphics  functions  like  "draw"  to
> U-Boot.  You might want other stuff soon, and find yourself ending up
> integrating microwindows or so. I'm not  sure  if  I'd  like  such  a
> development.

in general, that's a policy i understand and agree with.  in specific,
though, i implemented the function when i was trying to debug why the
drawing of the test pattern wasn't working.  directly doing a memory-
modify and having to do the RGB565 encoding mentally was tiresome :)

i guess i'm proposing that this be the only real random drawing function
for just this purpose.  debugging the framebuffer is tedious without it.
if you'd rather not see it, that's fine -- i can keep it sitsang specific
as an additional patch people can apply.  i don't want to bolt in all
the random draw functions you'd expect in a GUI.  just rectangle solid
blobs.

-josh