[U-Boot-Users] request for comments

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Feb 17 21:58:53 CET 2004

Dear Josh,

in message <20040216222014.23806b93.fryman at cc.gatech.edu> you wrote:

> this platform has an LCD panel and a backlight.  both are controllable to
> a certain extent.  i'd like to add a set of new commands to support the
> features:
>
>    bkon                        backlight on
>    bkoff                       backlight off
>    bkset percent               set backlight brightness to "percent" of max
>    lcdon                       turn lcd on
>    lcdoff                      turn lcd off
>    lcdtst                      draw a test pattern on the lcd
>    lcddraw x0 y0 x1 y1 r g b   draw a rectangle on the lcd, scaling R/G/B
>                                values to hardware supported (ie, the cmd
>                                values are in 0-255, but the hardware only
>                                does RGB565 ... causes "255" to be mapped
>                                accordingly)
>
> and accompanying cmd_lcd.c, and cmd_bklite.c files.

Are these indded platform independend files  that  can  go  into  the
common  directory?  My  suspicion is that these might be in fact very
board-specific features that should go into your own board  directory
instead.

> of course, i could re-work this to be more like
>
>    bk   {on,off,set percent}
>    lcd  {on,off,tst,draw x0 y0 x1 y1 r g b}
>
> to not take up so many command values...

This sounds much better to me anyway.

Actually I recommend NOT to add graphics  functions  like  "draw"  to
U-Boot.  You might want other stuff soon, and find yourself ending up
integrating microwindows or so. I'm not  sure  if  I'd  like  such  a
development.

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
HP had a unique policy of allowing its engineers to take  parts  from
stock  as long as they built something. "They figured that with every
design, they were getting a better engineer. It's a policy I urge all
companies  to  adopt."  -  Apple  co-founder  Steve  Wozniak,   "Will
Wozniak's class give Apple to teacher?" EE Times, June 6, 1988, pg 45