[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot and S3c2410

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Feb 20 19:43:20 CET 2004

In message <4036262C.4020600 at denayer.wenk.be> you wrote:

> >(2) Gerrit....Are you also using the S3C2410?
> No, a Motorola MPC5200 Lite evaluation board.
> But I thought that my suggestion is pretty board-independent :)

There are huge differences between architectures.  While  on  PowerPC
you  usually  have  flash  at  some  high addresses and RAM mapped at
0x0000, you will see flash at 0x0000 and RAM  at  high  addresses  on
ARM.

You really guessed wrong here.

> $ mkimage -n 'Linux PPC MPC5200 2.4' -A ppc -O linux -T kernel -C gzip
> -a 00000000 -e 00000000 -d arch/ppc/boot/images/vmlinux.gz
> /tftpboot/MPC5200/vmlinux.img

... which is OK for PowerPC, but seriously broken for all ARM systems
I know.

>(3) So why isn't it booting. Or more correctly why is it resetting after it issues the 'Starting kernel ...' message!!
> >Am I missing some bootarguments?
> >
> you don't need to have bootarguments set to see at leaste *some* output
> I think.. Something more severe is going on I believe

You have to know the memory map of your system, and you  have  to  be
aware  wat  the  load address (-a option to mkimage), entry point (-e
option) and the address "addr" where your image is stored in RAM when
you type "bootm addr" mean.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
He'd been wrong, there _was_ a light at the end of the tunnel, and it
was a flamethrower.                         - Terry Pratchett, _Mort_