[U-Boot-Users] telnet server on u-boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Feb 24 17:26:35 CET 2004

In message <87fzd04g4z.fsf at deepthought.outer.space.org> Detlev Zundel wrote:

> > For some remote instruments, I need to be able to have a telnet access to
> > the boot in case of my Linux kernel and file system are down (after an
> > upgrade for example).
> > I don't think that u-boot provide telnet support and I had a look at
> > another boot project called redboot that provide such a functionality.
> > I have a couple of questions :
> > Does anybody see another solution than telnet to control a remote
> > instrument?

There are many solutions. You don't provide much  informatiuon  about
your  workign environment so it is difficult to make a good recommen-
dation. Standard solutions include: use a  modem  to  attach  to  the
serial  console;  use  a  terminal  server  to  attach  to the serial
console; etc.

> What I had in mind is a "UDP console" as it was implemented some time
> ago for the Linux kernel also (there was a patch floating around).
> Googling for it I found at least this link [1].  This would of course
> need a "special" program to access the console but it is a much more
> realistic target to aim at.

This has been discussed before indeed for U-Boot, too.  Interest  for
such a feature seems to pretty limited, though.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
An expert is a person who avoids the small errors while  sweeping  on
to the grand fallacy.