[U-Boot-Users] telnet server on u-boot

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Tue Feb 24 17:05:32 CET 2004

Hello Laurent,

> For some remote instruments, I need to be able to have a telnet access to
> the boot in case of my Linux kernel and file system are down (after an
> upgrade for example).
> I don't think that u-boot provide telnet support and I had a look at
> another boot project called redboot that provide such a functionality.
> I have a couple of questions :
> Does anybody see another solution than telnet to control a remote
> instrument?
> Has anybody already tried to add telnet server to u-boot? It seems to be a
> challenging task because we need to add TCP support.

U-Boot does not contain any TCP implementation.  I doubt that this
will be doable with reasonable effort.  Writing a standard conform
TCP implementation is a daunting task that even many proprietary
systems could not solve, i.e. there are many TCP implementations
working well in "the lab" _only_.

What I had in mind is a "UDP console" as it was implemented some time
ago for the Linux kernel also (there was a patch floating around).
Googling for it I found at least this link [1].  This would of course
need a "special" program to access the console but it is a much more
realistic target to aim at.

> Has anybody used both u-boot and redboot and can point me the main
> advantages and drawbacks of both?

Sorry, I can't help you there.

Cheers
  Detlev

[1] http://www.linux.it/kerneldocs/sercons/sercons.html

--
Directories are added, deleted, and rearranged much as you would
expect, even if you don't know it's what you'd expect.