[U-Boot-Users] Memory Access Problem

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Feb 24 18:01:48 CET 2004

In message <20040224162652.7167.qmail at web10606.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> We have ported U-boot and Linux to a custom 8280
> board. For this board, the LED base has been set at
> 0x2200A000. I am able to write to this base from
> U-boot using mw command and control the LED display.
> But if I try to access the same memory from Linux, the
> kernel is raising an exception. I even tried to map

This is not a U-Boot related question. It is thus off topic on this list.

> this memory area by calling ioremap in MMU_init but
> the result was same. Do I have to do any other
> Oops: kernel access of bad area, sig: 11
> NIP: C0139034 XER: 00000000 LR: C0139024 SP: C05B9F90
> REGS: c05b9ee0 TRAP: 0300
>    Not tainted
> MSR: 00009032 EE: 1 PR: 0 FP: 0 ME: 1 IR/DR: 11
> DAR: 2200A000, DSISR: 22000000

I think that this address was not mapped by the Linux  kernel.  Check
you  code  again.  Also,  please  reconsider  your  memory  map - see
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/PPCEmbedded/Kernel#Section_10.2.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
- Voltaire