[U-Boot-Users] Problems with u-boot, PPChameleonEVB and MontaVista kernel

Chuck Meade chuckmeade at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 24 18:18:14 CET 2004

> I think whichever kernel tree we use, we're going to have to do some
> porting either way, so I'd appreciate some guidance as to where in the
> kernel I should be looking to resolve the problems we currently have
> (as I might need the knowledge gained when we come to adding further
> customisations later).
>
> We *do* have a BDI 2000, but I think my ability to be able to debug
> this problem is hindered by my limited knowledge of the kernel startup
> code.

Hi again Andy,
At least this time I read your question more thoroughly :)

We are becoming off-topic for the U-Boot list -- if you want to take
this further, switch to the linuxppc list.

I can tell you for a start that you will need to customize your Linux
.config file (make menuconfig for example) for your particular target,
and you will also want to study the platform-specific code under
arch/ppc/platforms.  If your target is not currently supported, you
will need to create that support.  That means *at least* the files under
arch/ppc/platforms, and the Makefile and Config.in changes needed
in the tree to support selection of the new platform and its features.

I encourage you to do a search of the entire Linux tree (not case
sensitive) for a word like "walnut":

  find . -type f |xargs grep -i walnut

This will give you a feel for the places that platform-specifics
pop up.

Hope that helps,
Chuck