[U-Boot-Users] Problems with u-boot, PPChameleonEVB and MontaVista kernel

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Feb 24 17:09:07 CET 2004

In message <001b01c3faed$44c266d0$333335bf at cabletime.com> you wrote:

> Well, we've decided to use the MontaVista distribution / development
> environment, and that integrates nicely with their kernel build tools.

I don't know how their system is set up, but it  should  be  not  too
difficult  to  use  a  differetn  kernel  tree with the rest of their
tools.

> There may well be features that are present in the MontaVista kernel
> tree that we would like to use too (although I'd have to check the
> details). I think the general feeling is that having one source for
> all this is the best way to go (if we can get it to work).

Then you will either have to move all the  modifications  needed  for
the PPCHameleon board into their kernel tree (thus creating something
which  again  is  not  the  original MV kernel), or have MV provide a
kernel extended in such way.

> I've followed the information in that FAQ. However, all it tells me to
> do is match up the bd_info structures, and check clock information.

Yes, and this is your most  pressing  problem.  When  the  parameters
passed  to  the  Linux  kernel are correct you will at least get some
boot messages, and see where the kernel crashes then (which  it  will
do).

> It just seems to make sense to try to keep everything (kernel, apps,
> development etc.) under 'one roof' (i.e. MontaVista) if at all
> possible.

The result of extending the MV kernel for the PPChameleon board  will
be something new, like any other kernel tree is something new. I know
that  vendors  usually  don't tell you or even deny the fact that the
kernel source tree does NOT depend on any specific tools  and  is  in
almost all cases independend of any application code, too.

> I think whichever kernel tree we use, we're going to have to do some
> porting either way, so I'd appreciate some guidance as to where in the
> kernel I should be looking to resolve the problems we currently have

I think you can use another kernel  tree  (like  that  from  our  CVS
server)  without problems. If you feel you must move our patches into
the MV tree please feel free to do so - all the history and  comments
are available for free on our CVS server. You can extract the patches
that  are relevant for the PPChameleon board and try applying them to
the MV tree - I don't expect any serious problems there.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
The speed of time is one second per second.