[U-Boot-Users] MPC8247 and others

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Feb 27 15:17:07 CET 2004

In message <000501c3fd00$a087d670$9d00a8c0 at radionorole> you wrote:

> MPC8247 is part of a new family of PowerQUICC II processors from
> Motorola.
> This new family include MPC8247,MPC8248,MPC8271,MPC8272 which are all
> derivatives from of the MPC8280 and MPC8260.

Indeed these are derivatives, and not sooo different.

> Since I would like to post back patches and add support code for this
> CPU back to the U-Boot project I was wondering what is best when
> starting :
> Add a new directory to cpu, mpc8272 (or something) and copying code from
> mpc8260 and changing this or add changes with defines in the MPC8260
> directory. The MPC8260 and MPC8247 are very similar but there are some
> changes, configuration registers (HRCW is changed among others
> (start.S)) and an USB controller etc.

I don't think that  differences  are  so  big  that  a  separate  CPU
directory is justified. Please use the existing 8260 directory.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Boss, n.: According to the Oxford English Dictionary, in  the  Middle
Ages  the  words  "boss"  and "botch" were largely synonymous, except
that boss, in addition to meaning  "a  supervisor  of  workers"  also
meant "an ornamental stud."