[U-Boot-Users] BDI2000 vs Vision-ICE

Mike Wellington wellington at lucent.com
Fri Jan 9 16:50:50 CET 2004

Guys-
   My replies are in post.

-thanks

mike wellington
wellington at lucent.com

VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) wrote:

> I've used both VisionICE and BDI2000 (we bought two
VisionICEs initially and only BDI2000s since then :-).
Both connect via the JTAG port and neither support traceback.
As Charlie points out, traceback requires capturing the
address and data bus which is bloody tricky on todays processors.

my project lead thinks visionIce/visionEvent has solved that
problem.   Since our CPU core is inside an FPGA I guess I could
conceivably watch the bus with ChipScope - an FPGA-based
logic analyzer which would give me raw bus cycles.

> With a JTAG or a software only debugger you could theoretically
enable the "trace on branch" PPC exception and run at full
speed in (very short :-) bursts, saving each branch location
and then rebuild the traceback using the saved the branches,
but that would still cause a significant speed degradation
because of all the exceptions.  I don't know if anyone does this.

I don't know if anyone does this either, but I think it is
an excellent idea.

I have my doubts whether this would be useful due to the speed slowdown.

I think my application can handle the speed slowdown.

Some think the visionICE, visionEVENT stuff has improved.  I'll
find out soon enough since management went ahead and bought it.

>>BTW, I agree with Wolfgang's earlier point.  What really
>>matters is the
>>capabilities of the debugger software front-end.  One of
>>these days, I need
>>to get someone around here to approve the purchase of a
>>BDI2000 and see how
>>it compares.

Our debugger front-end is supposed to be great.  I haven't
fired it up yet for real.  I kinda need a U-Boot bootloader
for the Xilinx ML300/PPC405 first.   Or I could use Redboot ( part
of eCos Real-Time OS ) which I already have sorce for a ML300/PPC405
but I haven't figured out how to build it yet.

-EOF-