[U-Boot-Users] BDI2000 vs Vision-ICE

VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) Gerald.VanBaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Fri Jan 9 14:29:50 CET 2004

I've used both VisionICE and BDI2000 (we bought two VisionICEs initially and only BDI2000s since then :-).  Both connect via the JTAG port and neither support traceback.  As Charlie points out, traceback requires capturing the address and data bus which is bloody tricky on todays processors.

With a JTAG or a software only debugger you could theoretically enable the "trace on branch" PPC exception and run at full speed in (very short :-) bursts, saving each branch location and then rebuild the traceback using the saved the branches, but that would still cause a significant speed degradation because of all the exceptions.  I don't know if anyone does this.  I have my doubts whether this would be useful due to the speed slowdown.

gvb

The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you have received this e-mail in error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your system and notify your system manager.  Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.  The views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.  The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The company accepts no liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any virus transmitted in this email.