[U-Boot-Users] Statically assigned IP addresses

Kerl, John John.Kerl at Avnet.com
Tue Jan 13 19:27:35 CET 2004

Hello,

This is my first time using U-boot and I have what I
am sure is a newbie question.  However, I am getting
an error while attempting to access the archives at
SourceForge, so I'll go ahead and post the following.

1.	On my Chameleon 405EP board, it appears the Ethernet
	interface is off by default.  While the board is
	running Linux, the Ethernet interface is *not*
	brought up by default -- rather, I must type
	'ifconfig eth0 up'.  This seems strange, but I can
	live with it.  While the board is running U-boot,
	on the other hand, there does not appear to be a
	'bring up Ethernet' command.  I have MAC address and
	IP address set in environment variables, so what else
	do I need to do to get the board to answer a ping???

2.	Probably the same as the first question -- assigning
	a static IP address.  In our lab, we do not use DHCP;
	addresses are statically assigned.  Is setenv ipaddr
	{n.n.n.n} sufficient?  If not, what else do I need
	to do?

3.	Is this standard U-boot behavior, or is it peculiar
	to the Chameleon board?  On the boards we manufacture
	(and in our firmware), Ethernet comes up by default.

Thanks.