[U-Boot-Users] Statically assigned IP addresses

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jan 13 21:02:27 CET 2004

Dear John,

in message <C7FFFEA58B43D311920D0004ACE5333F10E4F4FF at amer25.avnet.com> you wrote:

> 1.	On my Chameleon 405EP board, it appears the Ethernet
> 	interface is off by default.  While the board is

No, it is not off. It get's enabled when used.

> 	running Linux, the Ethernet interface is *not*
> 	brought up by default -- rather, I must type
> 	'ifconfig eth0 up'.  This seems strange, but I can

Did you enable IP autoconfiguration in the kernel, and did  you  pass
appropriate "ip=" comand line arguments to Linux?

> 	live with it.  While the board is running U-boot,
> 	on the other hand, there does not appear to be a
> 	'bring up Ethernet' command.  I have MAC address and

Ethernet get's enabled when used.

> 	IP address set in environment variables, so what else
> 	do I need to do to get the board to answer a ping???

U-Boot can be configured to send ping  ICMP  messages  and  show  the
reply, but it does not answer incoming ICMP requests.

> 2.	Probably the same as the first question -- assigning
> 	a static IP address.  In our lab, we do not use DHCP;
> 	addresses are statically assigned.  Is setenv ipaddr
> 	{n.n.n.n} sufficient?  If not, what else do I need
> 	to do?

For  U-Boot  this  is  sufficient.  For  Linux  you  must  pass  this
information to the Linux kernel using an "ip=" command line argument.

Ummm... what exactly is unclear in the description in
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/LinuxBootArgs
that you need to ask all these questions?

> 3.	Is this standard U-boot behavior, or is it peculiar
> 	to the Chameleon board?  On the boards we manufacture
> 	(and in our firmware), Ethernet comes up by default.

This is standard U-Boot behaviour.

I don't understand what you mean by "comes up".  U-Boot  imnitializes
the network interface(s) only when you try to use them.

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
                                                   - Arthur C. Clarke