[U-Boot-Users] Complying with GPL (u-boot and PPC linux)

Brian S. Park brian at corelis.com
Wed Jan 21 03:52:59 CET 2004

Hi all,
I have questions about what we need to do to stay compliant with GPL.
If this is OT on this e-mail list, I'd appreciate a pointer to where I
should ask.

We have developed JTAG controller using u-Boot and Linux as embedded OS.
Reading the GPL, it looks like we need to do the following.

1. Include written offer to provide the source code of u-boot and Linux
with every unit we ship.
2. Charge only nominal shipping/handling fee when customers request the source.

What is not clear to me is if it is ok to put in on our support web
(requires password to access) and ask our customers to download it when
they want the source  code. Or do we really have to ship it on a physical
medium.
Also, is it ok to put in on a web site where only our customers can get to?
or does it have to be a public accessible web site?

Looks like Linux and u-Boot are both covered with the same version of GPL.
So, I assume the requirement are the same.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Brian

Brian S. Park  brian at corelis.com  (562) 926-6727 x132
Everything we do helps our customers get to market
FASTER with HIGHER quality and LOWER cost